Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Painting Day

We were certain that we can keep poultry here because there are goats and chickens nearby, but I wanted to be sure. I finally found the zoning classifications Hillsborough Municode so at least I knew what I needed to be. At Homefacts I was able to type in the address and it brought up the zoning info under Property Details. I feel relieved and excited about getting to work on the shed today.


ASC-1 - Agricultural, Single Family Conventional 
The purpose of this district is to encourage agricultural and related uses and permit single-family conventional development in a rural environment on lots containing a minimum of one (1) acre.

We're going with the same color as our other outbuildings as we have 5 gallons of leftover paint, and one gallon of trim paint. On the inside I used up 3 pint paint samples for the first coat.  
We really liked one of the colors so we picked up a gallon of exterior latex for the final coat, and try to stretch the pint sample of the accent color.









One major problem with the shed was roofing nails protruding an inch into the space. Normally this wouldn't matter, but I'm not sure how high chickens can or will fly to roost. Cutting off all the nails seemed a horrible task and we can't drive them back and lift the roof. We thought foam board insulation would tuck up there nicely, not too heavy, easy to cut and the nail ends would be gone.
I wasn't sure if glue would affect the foam and I didn't want a huge mess if it didn't work. Best scenario would be to just prop them up. At first I thought trim but I didn't want any sagging so a version of cross bracing seemed like a good idea. 1x3x8  boards were  $1.50 each so I picked up 6 and 3 insulation boards.
So, while Ken was painting the trim on the shed outside with the darker contrast paint, I borrowed a pint and painted the beams and cross braces.
I was planning to paint the foam board but decided the metal-look side will be fine and we'll save the paint and if we use galvanized material somewhere else  it'll look ok.
I love the results, especially because it works functionally but looks modern. 







December 2nd update:
Had I knew then what I do now, I would have sprayed the whole outside and inside after we cut all the ventilation holes.

I had painted yellow and green inside and liked it, but after the ventilation was cut it looked horrible looking in from the outside. I've wasted paint and lots of time redoing things.
Also, the coop has morphed from my Asian Zen Tea House look into more of an Old Country Alpine look which I love also, and it's definitely back to my roots.

The order would be:
Cut holes
Spray inside
Spray outside






No comments:

Post a Comment