Friday, October 28, 2016

Auger dis-connect,

We picked up the Auger post hole digger today from the John Deere dealership. It took three guys to put it on our little sub-compact tractor. I freaked out about taking it off and on ourselves. I'm of no use to lift and carry farm implements. I couldn't see how Ken could lift the auger, balance it and at the same time to connect it.  I told him we need to build a fake human helper to give him the extra hands and stability to change the auger attachment safely. I imagined a pulley frame that we could use to tie down and stabilize the auger. After much discussion (because I'm totally visual and he is completely NOT) he agreed to build the thing with me before we unhooked the auger to switch tractor implements.

At the crack of dawn we headed to Lowes. No pulley mechanism big enough, so we crossed the street to home depot, where we found pulleys rated for 300lbs and the fun began. It was challenging and enjoyable fiddling with parts to design and create this alter ego, helper thing.
I loved it! As we solved each little aspect of the design and mechanism we felt like we could create the artificial helper.  Finally, the lumber department,  quick set concrete and we were on the way home before lunch.

I wasn't taking any chances on the thing failing so we dug holes for tomatoes, then holes just to dig holes.. 38 altogether in minutes. Finally it was time to test the contraption. It worked beautifully. We had the auger high and dry in minutes. It was a beautiful thing. So beautiful in fact, when we're out digging, it could convert to a little kids swing. Awesome!  It was a good day and Ken has a new helper.

Here is the creation:
There will be a video coming on the next switch out.





No comments:

Post a Comment